Wednesday 23 May 2007

MOCHA FRAPPUCINNO: AFFOGATO STYLE @ STARBUCKS COFFEE

MOCHA FRAPPUCINO : AFFOGATO STYLE

I was just browsing through Starbucks' merchandise cabinet last night, thinking to myself.. I was around KK all the time and there are outlets there, why should I get mugs and what-nots here when I have to lug everything up and down the plane?...

So I didn't get anything, and was just about to get away with a boring Mocha Frap when my new barista friend, Hieffny, suggested that I should give it a little twist - or drown it - and make it affogato. We need more baristas like this. Good for the company :-)

Starbucks Coffee @ Bukit Raja, Klang

Affogato - or drowning - is actually a common recipe, taken as dessert or beverage by topping it with hot espresso shot. Ice cream, pudding or ice-blended beverages has been drowned in the past.

Espresso used to top a beverage

Affogato was on offer at Starbucks some years back, and has not returned since. Although the norm would be to drown a cream based beverage (Chocolate Frap or Vanilla Frap et cetera) I tried it on my Mocha since I was just too curious to know what's it like, so I went for it.

I can understand why Hieffny stressed that this recipe should be done on a cream based frappucino, because adding a shot to an already coffee based drink did not bring out the wonderful taste of getting cream and coffee mixed as you sip - the coffee taste was too overpowering. When enjoying the beverage, the whole idea is to let cream and coffee combine in your mouth, so sometimes you get more of the sweetness of cream and sometimes the bitterness espresso. So dont stir the whole thing as you'll just end up with a latte frap.

Since it was a last minute improvisation on a Mocha Frap, the whole Frappucino texture was lost after the drowning, making it a tad bit too fluid to stay as a conversational beverage, and because the coffee was doubled by a notch, the chocolatey taste of the original mocha was also drowned.

How I would probably do it at Cafe Philosoffee - is to make the base drink more dry - by using more ice, so that it will not all be dissolved by the hot espresso. Another idea is to use chilled espresso - so that it will not readily mix with the cream based frap and I'll get more texture from the concoction. It is Starbucks' policy to customise drinks for its clients, go have it your style, ask away.

Yusira dressing up my Affogato

Generally the drink is a pleasant one, good for first dates or reunion, since it can also provide conversational starters for those awkward silences. Don't do this when you're in a hurry because this is one beverage to sit down and contemplate over.

Hieffny and Yusira

4 comments:

  1. Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I know what you're talking about,dude...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehy, Affigato in Italian means 'man who is too much after women' ... the correct word is Affogato :-)) cheers, max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks dude... I'll do the corrction immediately... tho too much of a good coffee will leave a man to go about after a woman.. hehe

    ReplyDelete