Sunday 22 July 2007

EQUATOR COFFEE @ SANDAKAN

Stuck between wanting to play a good host to the visiting Indonesian doctors, and not being bored to death pretending to be interested in some huge nosed proboscis monkeys, I had to make up my mind and decide... finally I decided not to die from monkey-induced boredom. Got myself dropped halfway off Sandakan town, at Bandar Indah, I quickly headed to this place which I spotted the night before during a night out to get some beers.

coffee equator

Another one of those place that surely will catch my attention, even though it was late at night, not to mention the heavy rain and the fact that I saw it from such an angle usual people would just be happy to ignore.

Yeap, anything with a large signboard with t he word coffee on it will work!

Inside, to my greatest pleasure, was fully air-conditioned and the comfortable dining tables were just as inviting as the signboard outside.

At one glance, this place would pass off as a really impressive American style coffee joint franchise, very similar to that of Coffee Bean or Starbucks, minus the usual overcrowding and the effort to find a good place to sit.

the counter - extra shy people who runs off gave it an impression that there's nobody around

Even the menu was suggesting that this was an experience I am going to remember - it says "coffee tastes better with a friend". Aaahhh :-)

Very quickly attended to by its young apperentice, Kit (whom later expressed that he has a keen interest in pastry business) he showed good knowledge of the products on sale, which tell me that I will at least enjoy my stay here.

cozy chairs - not captured here is the sofa set

I was later joined by the owner, who was a friendly lady who has travelled Europe to experience the real coffee that side of the world has to offer. She took time to sit on my table, telling me a little bit more about their coffee, its origin, and what makes the business work with different people.

Equator Coffee usually gets packed later in the evening, when the younger consumers find it a perfect place to hang out with friends, or get together to do homework (though I doubt much would be accomplished here).

coffex coffee

Equator Coffee only serves Coffex Coffee, a company from Australia which gets its beans from Central America. The shop only uses one single blend, which is the Espresso for Cafe, medium strength.

I tried a few drinks and later a couple of pastries here at Equator. The first was to try Coffex black. I will write about it separately. Then, a Grand Cappuccino as recommended by Kit, a concoction of Espresso with a spalsh of flavoured syrup. Kit did Irish Cream for me, which I thought was superb. Other than that, they also have other syrups like chocolate, caramel, hazel, mint, tiramisu and vanilla. Priced at RM8.70 a serving, not too bad really.

Another recipe worthy of trying, which is Mdm Chong's favourite, is Caffe Viannese - Cappuccino. I didn't have the opportunity to try this one, after 2 servings of coffee here, but this could be a good reason to come back! Priced at RM8.60 a serving, it is one of the store's bestsellers I suppose.

Another thing that cought my attention, on the menu was the real Irish Coffee - with real non-halal stuff in it - at RM15.50 a mug, I wish it was not broad daylight and I have to take a taxi back to the hotel - or I would have ordered one. Next time, next time...

tiramisu

Another offering that one shouldn't go back without trying, is in the display fridge, next to the counter. The cakes are all home made, and each and every one of them are made herself by Mdm Chong! I got to try her tiramisu (RM6.00 each) and since I am filled to the brim but still greedy - I packed a slice of her Japanese Cotton Cheese cake - simply irresistable.

This is one place I would gladly recommend to anybody passing by Sandakan. I wish we have one like this in KK.

Kit and Mdm Chong

Equator Coffee opens daily from 0800H to 2300H
(varying on Weekends and Public Holidays)

G/F Lot 5, Block 12, Bandar Indah,
Mile 4, Jalan Utara, Sandakan

equator_coffee@imap.cc
089 210 517

No comments:

Post a Comment